For the past several years, wallpaper has been making a comeback as a popular way create a unique look in a room. The latest trends we’re seeing here in the Ft. Myers area is to turn your favorite fabric into beautiful wallpaper. Check it out!
Virtually any fabric can be made into a wall covering. There are many benefits to using fabric on your walls, including:
- Provides a striking effect on vertical surfaces
- Extra thickness helps conceal blemishes on wall
- Maintains original color, texture and quality of fabric is maintained
- Aids in sound absorption and insulation
- Coordinates with other accessories in the room
To turn fabric into wallpaper, you’ll need to use a special paper backing available through such companies as Robert Allen
and FabWall®. Paper backing is a type of non-woven backing that provides the proper stiffness and more importantly the moisture protection to fabrics for pasting to walls.
If no paper backing is used, humidity and heat can cause the fabric to bubble and sag, not to mention the adhesives could seep through the front of the fabric. The front of the fabric can also be treated with a stain protection that makes it resistant to moisture and stains and can be cleaned with a moist sponge.
Selecting Fabrics for Wallpaper
Although almost any fabric can be used as wall covering, there are some useful guidelines that you may find helpful when selecting your fabric. Stay away from:
- Fabrics with horizontal stripes or horizontal repeats
- Loosely woven fabrics
- Fabrics that have a precision pattern where seams meet, for example leaves of a tree
Wall Covering Trends in Ft. Myers
Visit our showroom in Estero, FL, serving the areas of Estero, Bonita Springs, Naples and Ft. Myers. Contact us today for a design consultation – we’re looking forward to serving you!