You can’t pick up the paper or watch the news on TV without hearing the words “going green” or “eco friendly” and how both affect every aspect of your life. In regards, to window treatments, what do these terms really mean? Think of windows as energy holes. Even with today’s sealed double-pane windows, closed windows still allow 10-15 times more heat energy to flow through them. So, if windows make up about 10% of a home’s insulated shell, that could mean up to half of your heating and cooling utility bill is flowing through your windows.
What are the Green “Characteristics?
There are three “green” characteristics that contribute to eco friendly window treatments.
- Energy Efficiency – Reduces heat loss and is good for the environment and good for your wallet.
- R-Value – Lets you know how effective the window treatment material is at preventing heat loss.
- Eco-Friendly – Window treatments manufactured without the release of greenhouse gases, generating waste, or using non-renewable toxic materials.
Hunter Douglas offers the most extensive selection of window treatments on the market today. Their blinds, shades, sheers and shutters not only impact energy efficiency, they help protect against UV damage to carpets and furniture. They also insulate at the window to:
- Reduce heating costs in the winter
- Reduce cooling costs in the summer
- Reduce electrical costs by improving the quality of natural daylight
As part of Hunter Douglas’s commitment to sustainability, along with their distinctive style and superior quality, all Hunter Douglas window treatments are Greenguard Indoor Air Quality Certified®. They meet the stringent standards for low chemical emissions into indoor air and contribute to healthier indoor air quality in your home. Some of the most popular Hunter Douglas products include:
- Duette® Architella Honeycomb Shades
- Heritance® Harwood Shutters
- Luminette® Privacy Sheers
- Parkland™ Genuine Wood Blinds
- Pirouette® Window Shadings
- Silhouette® Window Shadings
- Skyline® Gliding Window Panels
- Vignette Modern Roman Shades
Fashionable Solutions for Saving Energy at The Window
Today, window treatments not only add beauty to your windows, they save energy resources, control energy flow, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Contact us to see how to improve indoor air quality and save on utility costs by “going green”.
Greenguard is an industry-independent organization that’s main goal is to improve our quality of life by enhancing indoor air quality and reducing our exposure to chemicals and other pollutants. To learn more about Greenguard environmental institute go to greenguard.org.
Greenguard Certified Window Treatments in Bonita Springs
Visit our showroom in Estero, FL, serving the areas of Estero, Bonita Springs, Naples and Ft. Myers. Contact us today for a design consultation – we’re looking forward to serving you!