Steps to Start a Room-Decorating Project
Many people can be overwhelmed when they decide to decorate or re-decorate. There are so many options and things to consider, from styles to colors to room setup and use to how to treat the windows. Knowing where to start and doing your homework before you start will provide you with a gratifying result. The trained experts at Perfect Fit Window Fashions serving Ft. Myers are happy to help.
First, here are some tips to get your project off the ground:
- Measure your room’s dimensions, doors, and windows, and draw them on graph paper, where one square corresponds to one foot. Do the same with the furniture that will be in the room, and cut it out so you can place and rearrange it in the space easily. Determine what the focal point of the room (a window, the TV, the fireplace, etc.) will be so you try arranging the furniture to highlight that spot.
- Decide if and where you want color, whether it should be on the window or on the walls. Walls can have a pop of color in wall hangings or wallpaper or paint; windows can have color in their treatments. Remember: If your window treatments are neutral, you can change the color of paint easier and for far less money than changing the window treatments.
- Consider how light will play out in the room. The direction your window faces will have an impact on the natural light; similarly, the type of artificial light you use will change how colors will look at night. With all of the new LED and other types of light bulb, try them out so you get the right effect. If you are using black-based colors such as purple, indigo, blue, teal, or green, you might want to try the LED cool light bulbs. For brown-based colors such as orange, red-orange, red, and magenta, use the LED warm light bulbs. Also remember that when the sun comes through a colored window treatment, it will also affect the colors of all objects in the room. When you put color on a window treatment, it will automatically become the focal point in the room.
- Think about the type of window treatment you want and how you want it to function. You might have Roman shades, honeycomb shades, pleated shades, or shutters. Also think about adding drapery panels or a valance to your window treatment. The addition of draperies or top treatments can soften a room and/or add a splash of color tie the room together.
- Set a budget and consider setting aside a small contingency fund. If something pushes you over the budget, it’s always nice to have a buffer.
- Have a timeline in mind. You don’t want to rush yourself, but neither do you want the project to go on forever.
- Get out and shop! Now that you’ve got your style and goals in mind, you can start getting the items you need. Congratulations!
Room Decorating in Ft. Myers FL
Visit our showroom in Estero, FL, serving the areas of Estero, Bonita Springs, Naples and Ft. Myers. Contact us today for a design consultation – we’re looking forward to serving you!