How Do I Choose the Right Blinds?
For years consumers were drawn to genuine wood blinds, primarily because they complement the decor of any room. But wood blinds are an investment just like any fine piece of furniture. With the introduction of faux wood blinds, consumers now have a variety of options to select from and at price points that can meet any budget.
Perfect Fit Window Fashions, your Hunter Douglas Gallery dealer serving the Estero, Bonita Springs, and Ft. Myers areas, can help you determine which blinds — either wood blinds or faux blinds — will work best in your home. Sometimes it is combination of the two.
Comparing Wood Blinds Vs. Faux Blinds
Before we look at how wood blinds and faux blinds are different, let’s see how they’re alike. Wood and faux blinds are constructed similarly, and both will complement any room décor. They are constructed using string ladders and are available in a variety of slat sizes with traditional lifting and tilting systems. Some styles offer cordless or motorized lifting systems for added safety and convenience. .
Advantages and Disadvantage of Genuine Wood Blinds
The most obvious advantage of real wood blinds is that are made of real wood! This gives them the look, feel, and quality of real wood products.
Other advantages include:
- Available in 1 3/8”, 2” & 2 ½” slat sizes
- Available in numerous colors and stains
- Stained slats highlight natural grains
- 50% lighter than faux wood blinds which makes them easier to raise and lower
- Can be manufactured to accommodate larger windows
- Optional routless slat construction to eliminate light leakage
- Available with decorative tapes
- Perceived to have a more high-end look
- Not recommended for rooms with high moisture – wood can warp
- Not as sturdy around children or pets
- Cost is about 30% higher than faux wood
Advantages and Disadvantages of Faux Wood Blinds
Durable and affordable, faux wood blinds give you the best of both worlds. They are typically made of PVC, PVC composite or wood and vinyl combination.
- Available in 2” slat size
- Available in different colors & stains
- Durable and slats usually bounce back and don’t warp
- Great for rooms with high moisture
- Built to not crack, chip, peel, warp or bowing
- Easy to clean with a wet cloth
- Less expensive than real wood
- Heavier than wood
- Size limitations for large windows
- Quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer
- Not as many upgrades available
Buy Wood or Faux Blinds in the Bonita Springs Area
Both wood and faux wood blinds will enhance the beauty of your home and can be used in tandem. The experienced sales consultants at Perfect Fit Window Fashions will assist you in making the perfect selection. Visit our showroom in Estero, FL, serving the areas of Estero, Bonita Springs, Naples and Ft. Myers. Contact us today for a design consultation – we’re looking forward to serving you!